Monday, October 11, 2010

Oatmeal Berry Cookies

Oatmeal Berry Cookies

Last week I made my first batch of gluten-free cookies. I was very pleased with how they turned out! At first I thought they were a little too crumbly, but I quickly realized that was only because I was eating them before they cooled. They were delicious. I think this is originally the recipe from the Quaker Oats box, but I've had it in my cookbook for so long I'm not 100% positive.

Oatmeal Berry Cookies

1c Earth Balance dairy-free, soy-free butter
1c firmly packed brown sugar
1/2c granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2c Bob's Red Mill gluten-free flour
3/8tsp xanthan gum
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
2tsp flaxseed meal
1/2tsp salt
3c oats **
1c Trader Joe's golden berry blend (dried golden raisins, cherries, cranberries and blueberries)

1. Heat oven to 350 degrees.

2. Beat "butter" and sugars until creamy.

3. Add eggs & vanilla; beat well.

4. Add combined flour, xantham gum, baking soda, cinnamon, flaxseed meal, and salt; mix well.

5. Stir in oats and berries; mix well.

6. Drop by rounded Tbsp (or larger if you like big cookies like me!) on ungreased cookie sheet.

7. Bake 10-12min (13-14min for larger cookies) or until golden brown.

8. Cool on cookie sheet; remove to wire rack.

Yield: 18 large (like six per cookie sheet) cookies.

** Since I am not gluten-intolerant myself, I just use regular oats. If you are dealing with Celiac's or other gluten intolerance, you may want to seek out gluten-free oats due to the risk of cross contamination. For more information on oats, click here.

2 comments:

  1. Oh yummy!!! I'm very interested in this recipe. We aren't gluten-free but my babies don't do dairy or soy. I'm going to have to check out that Earth Balance butter. Never heard of it. And what is xantham gum for? Thanks for this post! Most helpful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found your blog through Janelle and I must say how glad I am that I did! I am always on the lookout for a gluten-free cookie that doesn't taste like cardboard. Thanks for the great recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I love to hear from you.