Friday, October 1, 2010

Ann's Almost Famous Pumpkin Bread

Ann's Almost Famous Pumpkin Bread

My friend Ann gave me a pumpkin bread recipe a few years back. If there's one thing I love about Fall, it's pumpkin bread. And cookies, scones, pancakes, lattes, I could go on and on. Apparently I have a lot of recipe adapting to do this Fall.

The bread poofed up quite a bit while it was baking and then sunk down after I took it out of the oven. Do any gluten-free bakers know why? Too much xanthan gum? Not enough? It didn't sink too bad, the texture was good (if anything maybe a bit too moist??) and it definitely didn't affect the taste. The bread was delicious. I'll definitely make it again, although I may play around with the recipe a bit more.

Ann's Almost Famous Pumpkin Bread

Ingredients:

3 1/2c Bob's Red Mill gluten-free flour
3 1/2tsp xanthan gum (**It was recommended to me by Amy at Simply Sugar & Gluten-Free & Devan at Accustomed Chaos to try less xanthan gum, like 1 1/2-2tsp. I will try it that way next time. Thanks ladies.)
2tsp baking soda
1 1/2tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon (I used ginger this time because, ergh, we were out of cinnamon!!)
2 tsp nutmeg
3c sugar
1c oil
4 eggs
2/3c water
2c mashed pumpkin or one small (15oz) can pumpkin
1c chocolate chips (optional -- I use the Enjoy Life brand; they're free of the top 8 allergens.)

***edited 10/28/11: I made this the other day & totally eliminated the xanthan gum. They were perfect!! I also added 2Tbsp of ground flaxseed. I think my dozen muffins and one loaf were gone in close to 24hours. I'll be making more tomorrow.***

Directions:

Sift together dry ingredients. Make a well in center. Add remaining ingredients and mix well. Divide into two greased loaf pans (I use Spectrum palm shortening) and bake at 350 degrees for one hour or until toothpick comes out clean.

Serve warm with a dab of Earth Balance dairy-free soy-free butter and a hot cup of coffee or apple cider and enjoy.

2 comments:

  1. yum! just made pumpkin bread myself. Gotta love fall
    http://damegoodeats.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your adaptation! I'll have to give it a try :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I love to hear from you.