Sunday, December 27, 2009

Miscommunication.

As you may remember from this post last month, my mother-in-law was not much taking to our not-so-subtle hints that it wouldn't work for them to stay with us next spring when they come up to visit Baby 2.0 and our niece. When my inlaws called over Christmas, mother-in-law brought up the topic with me, almost as if she had never discussed it with Glenn. The conversation went a little like this:

Mother-in-law (MIL): "So, we're really hoping we can come up in the spring and see the babies."
Me: "Yea, that'd be great."
MIL: "We just didn't know if you guys had a spare room we could stay with you?" (or, should've said...we do know because Glenn already told us, but now I'll ask you)
Me: "Well, the only spare room we had used to be filled with boxes, but now it is Baby 2.0's room. So no, we don't have a spare room."
MIL: "Oh......"
Me: "You know, when we were moving my mom told me to sign up for the mailing list at Extended Stay America because they send out really good coupons. We were going to use that as a last resort when we moved and didn't have a place to stay."
MIL: "Oh, I don't even think we could make that work. Things just aren't the same as they used to be."
Me: "I know. My mom and step-dad are really hoping they can make it out, but they don't know if they'll be able to either." (Meanwhile thinking.....if my family members who are completely flat ass broke can figure out a way to make it work, I'm sure you can too. Maybe take one less vacation??? Snarky, I know. Don't mess with the pregnant lady.)
Me: "My mom is hoping to come up in May sometime."
MIL: "Aren't you due April 2nd?"
Me: silently cursing the fact that we told my mother-in-law the exact due date "Yes, but we'd like to not have anyone come into town until May. Glenn will hopefully be off most of April so we'd like to get settled and have that time to get into a routine. We figure we'll need the most help after he goes back to work."
MIL: "Well, maybe I can see if I can borrow a bed from a girlfriend."
Me: "That'd be great!"
MIL: "Well, why don't you two talk about it and let us know."

Um, I'm sorry, was I ambiguous? There isn't anywhere to stay with us and we want you to come in May.

Yesterday Glenn told me that he talked to his brother about the conversation I had with mom. Brother thought that likely father-in-law wasn't in on the whole shamboozle mother-in-law was talking about. Father-in-law is generally more reasonable than my mother-in-law, respecting our space and boundaries a little more. Later yesterday Glenn got a text from his brother that he was going to call the parents and talk to them about the situation.

When I got home from work today, Glenn told me that his brother had texted him and that the inlaws were staying with them for the visit. I don't know how that whole situation came about and I guess it really isn't any of my business anyway. Glenn and I were (to put it very mildly) shocked. Brother-in-law mentioned that their little one (who is a week old, so will be about 3 or 4 months old when the inlaws come to town) is sleeping in a bassinet in their room and so the parents can sleep on an air mattress in her room. And then Glenn said they would be coming in April. Apparently they already have a vacation planned for May. I could insert another snarky comment here, but I'll refrain.

I don't know. I guess I'll hold out hope that this visit is being planned for late April. And also that they don't drive my brother-in-law and his family crazy. I'm already having serious anxiety wondering just when they are planning on coming. My pregnant hormonal-ness is making it all I can think about tonight. I mean, why didn't she mention the other day that they already had plans in May? Eh, whatever.

Maybe they can come early April and Baby 2.0 can be fashionably late. Okay, just joking...I really don't want that! I keep saying that he'll probably be here in March, but then I stop myself thinking that if I keep saying that he'll be a 42 weeker!

Anyhoo, just needed to get this all off my chest. I just wish that for once my mother-in-law would listen to and respect our wishes. It just seems to be a continual pattern for her to ask what our wishes are and then completely disregard them. It makes me wonder what exactly is the point of asking in the first place?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I love to hear from you.