Sunday, November 2, 2008

Its this time of year...

...that my intense hatred for pharmaceutical TV ads takes second place to something even more evil -- political ads. I am so ready for the nonstop barrage of political ads to be over with. With an exciting presidential race, a hotly contested governer's race and a Senate rematch I am on political ad overload. And, I swear, they keep getting stupider and stupider (at the risk of sounding, um, stupid, is "stupider" even a word?). Anyway, I have been looking high and low on youtube to share with you the worst of the worst, but I can't find it so I will attempt to explain....

It is an ad against our current governer, Chris Gregoire, ran by her opponent, Dino Rossi. The ad compares Gregoire to a baby who is crawling around in a diaper. Then the ad says the baby has "baggage" and, as the baby is being passed around from person to person you see them scrunching their noses as if the baby has a big poopy diaper. They keep passing the baby around, commenting on the "baggage" and how we need "a change." I am sure the people who develop these ads are paid a nice amount of money so you'd think they could come up with something better than a baby crawling around with a poopy diaper and calling the poop "baggage." Clever? Maybe a little, I'll give it that, but why doesn't Dino Rossi talk about himself or his positions, rather than compare his opponent to a poop-filled diaper?

Ah, only two more days and I can see a boat load of pharmaceutical ads again. I think the only people who have more money than pharmaceutical companies to spend (and waste) on advertising are politicians.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I love to hear from you.